Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Star of Wonder

Good grief! I cannot believe that Christmas is only a few days away and I haven't blogged in MONTHS!! I officially have a full time permanent job here in Winston-Salem working for Wake Forest University and it is a very fast paced, busy, demanding and exiting job. Sadly, that doesn't leave room for blogging all that often.

The Mr. is busy being a first year Dr.  Lately we get to see each other about an hour or so a day! So the "down time" I do have, I spend with him or at least try to spend time with him before he either starts snoring or leaves for work.

Needless to say, I have a feeling my New Year's resolution will be more blogging...I have lots of side projects I have been working on that I would love to put up on the blog and show you all.
 
In the meantime, here is a little something I have been working on for the holiday season.

When we moved to Winston-Salem we noticed seeing these stars around town. On front porches, downtown, on WFU's campus and even atop the hospital.

photo via Flowergardengirl

   
photo via Digital Forsyth

photo via WFMY News

We soon found out that these stars are Moravian Stars.  The Moravians are German Protestants that came over to America in the 1700s and settled in parts of Pennsylvania and right here in Winston-Salem, NC. (They make some amazing cookies, sugar cake and other baked goods)  It is said that the star was taught as a geometry lesson but soon became a part of the Christmas Advent season:

“reminds us of God, who caused the light to shine out of darkness and of the light which is the life of humanity. It reminds us of the promise of Abraham that his descendants would be more numerous than the stars; we are reminded of the star that pointed to the 'great and heavenly light from Bethlehem’s manger shining bright.' The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. This is the message of the Advent star, which also points to Jesus, who said, 'I am the bright and Morning Star.' It is the star of promise, the star of fulfillment, and the star of hope.”

Hey, maybe I could redesign that Moravian Star into our Christmas Card.  I am eager to buy my own Moravian Star and hang it on our front porch year round to remind me of the hope we have in Jesus not only at Christmas but every day.


And HOPEFULLY you haven't given up on my little blog and you'll be back in 2012 to see more!

1 comment:

Julie Tiemann said...

LOVE that card! I also love those stars. Stars are my favorite thing to decorate with during Christmas.

I need to email you the link to all our Christmas cards from recent years that I just posted on FB. As a fellow designer I think you'll enjoy the progression. :)